Normal summer days
The evening will cool down enough to use your QuietCool on most days in the summer. This is your chance to supercool the entire home the night before a hot day.
- Once it is 80 degrees or less, run the QuietCool whole house fan on high for at least 1 hour, to cool the attic. This will cool the attic down to the outdoor temperature.
- Then run on low for 8 hours, and sleep with a few safe windows open, so that the house is precooled before a warm day.
- If possible, run 30-60 minutes during cool morning as well.
- Shut windows and doors and go to work with A/C set at 80. At this setpoint the A/C will usually not come on for most of the day.
- Cooling of the structure and all of the contents is proper thermal mass cooling, for optimum energy savings.
Extra hot days (over 100 degrees)
On some extra hot summer nights, it will not cool off enough to run the whole house fans while you are awake at all. Use your whole house fan system for cooling the attic on these nights, to maximize a/c performance during the evening.
- 1 hour before bed, run the QuietCool on high for 30 minutes, to flush the hot attic. Use a common area window for this, not a bedroom window.
- Hot air will come into the window, but this helps drastically to reduce attic temperature down to 80-90 degrees.
- Shut windows and go back to A/C usage for bedtime.
- A/C system will not have to fight the broiler effect of a 140 degree attic all night long or the next day.